Friday 5 December 2014

Opening Night and a lot of Macarena!!!

Nerves are good. They keep you alive.

Anyone familiar with the brilliant Mel Brooks musical 'The Producers' should recognise the wonderful song 'Opening Night'.  The usherettes ponder Max Bialystock's next show... "Will it flop or will it go?"
Well that is how I felt today.
You here a common phrase in rehearsals, especially with comedies and of course Pantomime!  "It needs an audience now!"  It may sound as though actors are trying to justify their lack of funniness on the lack of a crowd, but it really is surprising the effect an audience has to a show.
By the time we open we will have been performing the same gags and skits for three weeks, to the same gathered few.  The technical crew would have given us a boost the first time they saw it - but after two days of tech rehearsal and three dresses, they too are flagging, unsurprisingly.
What you have to try and remember is that an audience is always seeing the show for the first time!  Unless they are returning family or friends.  They think each ad-lib is especially for them, every fall is a one off and they saw 'the funniest show'.  In truth although things do go wrong and funny incidents do occur - the real skill comes in fooling the audience that that was actually a one off.
You always find that audiences A) Don't laugh as hard where you thought they might or maybe where you expected them to and B) They find trivial little things that never really landed in rehearsal hillarious.  These sometimes get the biggest laughs.  I have a lovely little line about "Shoe/choux pastry"  we've always skipped over it really but the crowds love it!

For those that aren't aware Jamie Brook is a stage name - My birth name is actually Jamie Smith, and the hawk eyed amongst you may have noticed that I wrote the script this year.  The pressure has therefore been heightened.  Will people not only find my act, but also my script funny?  Will they think it's boring?  Will they keep track of the story? And of course will they come back for the second Act!  Thankfully tonight's audience were very friendly and received the script well!

The reliethat swept over me when the curtain came down!!  I honestly could have cried.  I've been sneaking FOH during the runs to watch rehearsals, just to see what my words 'look' like on stage.  Are they funny?  To actually have one of my pantos not only on stage, but at a pretigious theatre like the Arnaud is a dream come true and has spurred me on for future projects.  
Such was the relief, that the 'one' drink I'd promised myself after the show flew down in about three minutes!  Thankfully my wonderful fiancĂ©e was there to keep me topped up!! And after a little bit of dancing on our way (see below) we headed home for a pizza and some naff telly!!  The perfect way to end a long week!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Many thanks for leaving a comment!
If you've enjoyed reading Muddles Memoirs, please take a look at "The Pongo Diaries" and "Brummie Buttons Blog" for previous years.