Thursday 4 December 2014

Glasses-Gate!!!

"Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers!"

To say that this has been long is an understatement.... and it's nowhere near finished yet!  Actors, creatives and crew are all working their hardest to get everything looking right and ticking away smoothly.  Much credit must go to Davin and Vicky the Company and Deputy Stage managers who are keeping all of the elements in order and keeping things on schedule.  It is also they that take the brunt of complaints from everyone involved!!  They are amazing!

Thankfully, after a very long day tech rehearsing though we had a little 'Scandal' to keep us all amused!

I'm standing in the stage left wing, waiting to go on and PG comes up rambling on about having lost his 'pink glasses'.  With everyone concentrating on their own lines, props and costume changes, and with our wardrobe assistants snowed under with repairs and adjustments.... no one was really taking any notice.  Still, PG banged on nearly all day about the vanishing specs.

Skip to the evening session... everyone flagging as I mentioned.  I'm backstage waiting for a 'sad entrance' for Snow White's funeral.  I'd spotted something in a previous scene and just before we went on I said to PG,
"I've found your glasses!  Karen has them on!"  Karen is playing Dozy!
"No!  Really?!"
"Honestly!!  I just saw them before I went on for the last scene!"  A look of confusion came over PG's face.
"But How?"  he really didn't believe me.  And was trying to look on stage to see Karen's face.    "Look if you're pulling my leg tell me, because otherwise I'm going to tell wardrobe I've found them!"

I was in fits!  The music started and we filled on 'to mourn'.  I crossed the stage (with a slight smirk) and went downstage to PG.
"Have you seen them?"  I whispered.
"Ok thank you hold it there!" Came an instruction from the crew.  PG's head bolted upright as he turned to our magnificent seven.  He spotted Karen and strained to see if they were in fact his glasses. He shuffled off toward centre stage, closer and closer to Karen.  hands on his hips, like a proper fishwife, he leant forward from the hips.  And then further.  And then further still.  He was bent virtually 90 degrees staring at Karen.  I'm surspised she didn't bop him one.

He shuffled back to my in tears of laughter.  
"They are!  They're mine!  How has she got those!" He snorted through the laughter.  As the rehearsal continued we chuckled into each other shoulders trying to keep a straight face. 

Soon Ray was involved, and we were all trying to figure out if they were in fact his!  ray told us that they had been left in her dressing room and that Karen was chuffed with them and really liked them.  They were actually very funny on her, as Dozy, they made her eyes bulge slightly.  

After lots of questioning, it turned out that one of the ensemble had found the glasses, and having seen Karen wearing glasses (off stage) they popped them on her desk.  Thankfully wardrobe sorted the whole thing out, as PG didn't want to have to deprive karen of her new glasses!

Maybe this is one of those stories where "you had to be there!"  but believe me... this kind of simple event really can help get the team through the long nights!  Rehearsal was over before we knew!

JB x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Many thanks for leaving a comment!
If you've enjoyed reading Muddles Memoirs, please take a look at "The Pongo Diaries" and "Brummie Buttons Blog" for previous years.